Growth Mindset

 Growth Mindset

-American Psychologist, Carol S. Dweck


Until today I had not yet heard of Carol Dweck but I have come across the terms Fixed and Growth mindsets. After watching a few videos on her work I believe that she's correct. The way Carol explains it, children who are new to the education system and are developing their minds and outlooks on life are very malleable and however they are encouraged, it will have a huge effect on them.

I used to subconsciously see myself as a fixed mind and that people who are "naturally intelligent" are the ones who just do better and have an easier time improving. Until recently. I found a Philosophy book called "Plato not Prozac!" by Dr. Lou Marinoff, PH.D. In his book he briefly runs over the history of philosophy, the fundamentals, some examples of philosophical counselling and philosophical disposition. Philosophical Disposition is your philosophical outlook on any matter. It's how you position yourself to take on any task or obstacle. So from reading this book I realized that if I ever felt a block in my ability to do something I had to remove myself, see the obstacles I faced and figure out how I could put myself in a position that could help me improve. Even if that new disposition didn't help me clear every single obstacle, at least I made it easier on myself.

That being said, this opened up my Growth Mindset. Giving myself a better Philosophical Disposition would allow me to grow smarter and stronger than I thought I was capable of. With family, with school, with sports. There was and still is things that I could improve on. But at the time, I didn't see that if I just put myself outside my comfort zone that I could: make someone's day a little bit better, I could experience new things that I otherwise wouldn't have or I could learn tips from the guys playing pick up at the basketball court because I wasn't afraid to go ask to play this time.

I believe that we cannot be better if we sit back and watch. I believe we need to be in a stressful and uncomfortable situation first so we can grow our skills. 
I believe that a sword cannot be sharp if it doesn't put itself on the grindstone.

My learning goals this year in college are to learn to take things on the chin and keep moving forward. To make sure that I develop a mindset where no matter what challenges me I'm not going to embrace hopelessness. I want to take the punch, go down, get back up and keep going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a future somebody

Vision Statement

Game Design Document